Sunday, September 9, 2012

Bouncy House!

This evening, we went with some neighbors to a nearby block party. Packs of six-year-olds were  running around. Anyone without a kid had a dog. Some had both. Adults milled about the fourteen-foot long table that was laden with gourmet salads, pastries, barbeque. Kids lined up for the bouncy house.

The bouncy house. I know Xander will love it. I tell him so. But I also know how he needs to adjust to a new situation. He needs to scope it out for a while. Observe. Understand. Then, he might be convinced to try it as long as I'm nearby. He's standing six feet away, transfixed by the thing. But when I lean down and ask if he wants to go in, he says, "No!" and buries his head in my leg. "Why not?" "It's scary."

I suggest he stand right next to it and peek in a little gap in the wall to watch the other kids. He does this for some time.  Eventually he crawls up the ramp and peeks in the door. "Want to go in?" "NO!" He's vibrating with excitement, though--smiling, nervously laughing--clearly he wants to try it, but NOT YET. I suggest we go in together. He agrees.

We sit in a corner, jostled by all the other kids. He's still not ready to jump. But he is having a good time. After several minutes, most of the kids get out, and I suggest he tries one bounce. He does it. Then back to me. Then another. Back to me. Then he stands up and bounces across the tent. There's no stopping him now. He is a bouncy house monster! And he loves it, like I knew he would.

More kids come in. Micah finds us, and despite my protests, crawls in...with nine-month-old Kai. Kai immediately lights up and starts giggling and jumping in Micah's arms. He tries to crawl away. He grabs the other kids. He is having the time of his life. Eventually, I grab the baby and slide out of the house.

And that, my friends, tells you a lot about these boys.


No comments: