Monday, October 6, 2008

Pica, Status, Baby Shower

Ever heard of pica? It's common in kids and pregnant women--a craving for inedible or strange things, like dirt, ice, baking soda. I'm pretty sure I have a mild form of it--I really like the smell of Pine Sol, roof tar and fresh asphalt. I discovered my cravings as they were repaving the street in front of our work building. They don't know what causes it, but it tends to be related to an iron deficiency. And women who had it as kids are more likely to have it when they're pregnant. I think I may have had pica as a kid--I remember standing in the car exhaust breathing in the fumes because they smelled so good. Plus I did (still do) really like the smell of mildew.

In other news, my doctor seems to think I'll be on time or maybe a bit early. Micah leans over to my belly several times a day and tells junior that he should just stay in there for a week and a half longer so Daddy can get his job applications done.

And, lastly, my neighbors Else and Emily threw a wonderful baby shower for us! Else's sister decorated the house, and we had a lot of our friends come for a potluck brunch. Micah's parents came down from Humboldt for the day. It was great to see everyone, and I'll post photos soon.

No comments: